|BIG NEWS: What Makes the Desert Beautiful is going to be imported to the Archive of Our Own (AO3)! |
The WMTDB archive was built with an old fashioned eFiction script and after nearly 18 years it is no longer maintainable to keep the website running because of this outdated system and its security issues. So to ensure safekeeping of all fanfics, I have decided to move them to AO3.
I have contacted the Organization for Transformative Works (OTW) for assistance in moving the What Makes the Desert Beautiful archive’s content to a collection on the multi-fandom archive they maintain, the Archive of Our Own (AO3), and set up automatic redirects for any future readers following old links. (Specifically, I will be working with the Open Doors committee. You can read about their recent import projects at this link.)
Here is where I would like to ask for your help!
1. If you already have an AO3 account and have posted your What Makes the Desert Beautiful works there, please let me know your nickandgreg.net pseud(s) and e-mail address(es) as well, so that we won’t import your stories. (There is a tutorial on the Open Doors website with instructions for mass-adding stories to the new collection on the AO3: https://archiveofourown.org/collections/WhatMakesTheDesertBeautiful)
2. If you don’t already have an AO3 account but would like one to import your stories yourself, please let me know your nickandgreg.net pseud(s), and the preferred e-mail address to send the AO3 invite to. (There is a tutorial on the Open Doors website with instructions for importing stories and adding them to the new collection on the AO3: https://archiveofourown.org/collections/WhatMakesTheDesertBeautiful)
3. If you would NOT like your works moved, please send me your nickandgreg.net pseud(s) and e-mail address(es) so that we will not add them. (If you would not mind them being preserved but do not want your name attached to them any longer, please let me know that too—we can orphan your works instead of leaving them behind to be deleted.)
We’ll be collecting responses over the next several weeks before we start importing works. All works imported on a creator’s behalf will be attributed with their name in the summary of the work. As we import works, we will e-mail notifications to the address associated with the work. (If you know of any authors that no longer have access to their nickandgreg.net e-mail address, please tell them to contact me directly.)
When all stories have been accounted for, the Open Doors committee will set up the URL redirects, and I will permanently close down the site.
Please let me know if you have any questions, and thanks!
BeeLikeJ - firstname.lastname@example.org
|All maintenance is done; we have now permanently moved to a new service provider. Welcome to www.nickandgreg.net!|
This site archives slash fan fiction based on the TV series CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. All fics on this site feature Nick/Greg as a romantic pairing.
Fiction in the archive ranges from G to NC17. All fics will be marked with ratings and appropriate warnings for character death, rape, non/con, and other pairings.
For best viewing we recommend skin wmtdb3.
Authors, thank you for sharing your stories!
Readers, we encourage you to leave reviews. Happy reading!
Need help? If you encounter any problems, sent us a message (click Help for e-mail:)
|The wmtdb archive now only contains Nick/Greg fanfiction. Your donations (in the form of fics, comments or money;) go a long way to keep the archive online. Thank you!
The fanvideos that used to be archived on WMTDB are now shared on the NicknGreg YouTube Channel: NicknGreg fanvids
If you can't get enough of the guys and want more types of fanworks, come over to the NicknGreg LiveJournal community for icons, wallpapers, art, new and old episode discussions and all things Nick&Greg!.
Last but not least, there is also a Tumblr for a daily dose of classic CSI scenes featuring our favorite guys: NicknGreg TUMBLR!
|Also, I have set up a Paypal Donation button below to help keep The Love alive. Any donation will be greatly appreciated and love and cuddles by Greg and Nick.......
|Well, everything is back up and running like it should be. Apparently when the hosting site upgraded their security settings, and it was incompatible with the current efic 1.1 script that is currently being used. Matt is still working on our site upgrade, with a different look, and a much more current fic archive, Plus all of the old things we miss, pics, images, wallpapers, and yes video's, and I do believe a forum.... He's getting closer to the final product, but no sure yet when he'll be completed with it. Just stay tuned and know that we are not going anywhere, and still looking to improve things and make sure this is the only site to go to for all your Nick and Greg fandom needs.
Thank you to everyone for your patience....
K&M Shacky20 and 0creativity|
|If you have this page bookmarked directly and are wondering where the rest of the site has gone, please check here for that information.|
the home, videos, interact, and forums links at the top will no longer work since those pages just don't exist anymore. So, uh, don't click them, I guess. It'll just be a waste of time ;-)
|The rules for archiving are as follows: |
1. Fics must feature Nick/Greg in some way. Other pairings are fine, as long as Nick/Greg are paired in the fic as well. Friendship and pre-slash are also welcome, but remember who the site is about..
2. Please utilize the warnings. This is a question of respect -- not all people react to the same fictional situations the same way, so a little warning keeps everyone happy.
3. Do not copy other peoples stories, come up with your own original plot and stories.
4. Please, Always use a beta before posting to minimize the amount of mistakes in the story. We offer a wonderful beta service here, don't be afraid to use it, that's why Matt designed the program for the site. Plus too many errors make a story difficult to read. We reserve the right to edit mistakes we may see in a fic.
5. When reviewing a story, please keep a decent tone. Do not be disrespectful. And constructive criticism can be helpful, don't automatically dismiss it.
6. If you receive a flaming review, that is either personal or full of hateful words for the sake it, either ignore it or contact the administrators. DO NOT start a fight in the review section. We will handle it.
If you fail to follow these rules, you will be given a warning. If after a warning you continue to break the rules, we can and will take the liberty to delete your account at the site, or send a fic back for a beta. Thank you, and please enjoy the wriiting and reading the stories archinved here.
|Hello all! Hope everyone is having a great day/week/month/year/whatever.|
Any comments about this can be directed here.
|Hi, all. I'm not sure how many of you just have your bookmarks pointed to this page and completely bypass the front page, so I just wanted to let you all know about something new we've just added.|
The Love Discussion is our new message board that will let you discuss everything from general Nick and Greg, to fanfic recs and help, to fanart, to anything else you can imagine not related to Nick and Greg or CSI.
We hope you won't be shy and will take this opportunity to get to know some of your fellow Nick and Greg fans and help us strengthen an already close, tight community.
|If you're going to use html tags in the summary for your fics, pleae remember to CLOSE ALL TAGS. This includes tags that you may think you don't need to close, such as (br) and (p). An easy way to close these tags is to include the closing slash in the opening tag. So instead of (br), use (br /). Instead of (p), use (p /). These tags do not require accompanying closing tags, technically, so by doing this you are combining both the opening and closing tags together.
The reason I bring this up is because I am working on creating an RSS feed based on the recently added/updated stories list and it is being very, very anal about having closing tags for everything. I've also noticed that sometimes closing tags for bold or italics or underline are either forgotten or cut off and everything under that entry on the recently added bar to the right will take on that formatting.
If your summary doesn't need tags, please don't use them. It will make things easier on everyone. However, if you need to link to a previous story or something or if you really feel that your summary needs parts emphasized, please make sure you are closing all of your tags, even ones you may think don't need it.
|For those of you who may just have the fiction archive bookmarked and bypass the front page of the site, please visit this page for important information regarding recent site upgrades that add new functions and change the way some portions of the site operate. For those of you who have the main page bookmarked, please update your bookmarks to reflect the new url of the main page.
Older pages still exist because I want to make sure everything is working properly before removing them. Some links across the site still point to them but will be updated within the next couple of weeks. A new skin for the fic archive is also coming soon to better match the new colors and layout used for the site.
If you have any questions/comments/concerns, you can leave a comment here or contact us through email or some other means.
Thanks and happy slashing!|
|Hello, fellow slashers! I could use your help. I just completed a new skin for the archive based on the new design for the site. If you want a sneak peek at what the new design looks like, as well as help me out with finding bugs and inconsistencies in the skin, I'd really appreciate it.|
All you have to do is log in to you account, and then go to "Edit Personal Information". Towards the bottom should be a drop-down box for skins. Choose "wmtdb" or, as I like to call it, "What Makes the Desert Blue." ;-)
Any comments, suggestions, etc. are welcome. If you hate something about it, please let me know. If something doesn't work, please let me know. If you like it, please let me know. Just leave your comments here.
Update Three: I tried to decrease the width of the pages by a hair or two, so hopefully that took care of any of you who were having the pages run off the side of the screen. If it's still running off, though, let me know and I'll see if I can change it even more.
|We have 2082 stories and 1764 authors in this archive.|